The Housing Fund
Job Description: Portfolio Manager
Announcement Date: October 27, 2020
Closing Date: November 6, 2020
The Housing Fund (THF) is a private, 501(c)(3) organization established to finance affordable housing and neighborhood revitalization projects throughout Tennessee. Since its incorporation in 1996, THF has assisted over 3,600 first time homebuyers receive over $25 million in down payment assistance loans, as well as providing more than $45 million in financing to assist individuals and organizations purchase, rehabilitate, or construct homes for low- and moderate-income families. To put these numbers in perspective, THF has lent over $70 million, which has leveraged over $450 million in private financing for more than 1,650 units.
Portfolio Management is a function of the finance department which manages individual loan default risk for all consumer and commercial loans, provides a broad view of the loans under management and is responsible for monitoring each loan’s successful repayment. The group also measures and presents lending business insights, credit risk and performance metrics.
The Portfolio Manager (PM) oversees multiple portfolios and is familiar with the purpose of the loans and the community impact as well as the underlying loan cash flows, collateral and repayment structure.
The PM is a key member of the finance team, managing transactions and business portfolio tasks. The PM works directly with borrowers, spots issues early and resolves nonperforming debt as needed.
The PM is directly accountable for managing a portfolio of accounts, proactive monitoring, and responsible and accountable for risk by openly exchanging ideas and opinions, elevating concerns, and personally following policies and procedures as defined.
The PM is accountable for always doing the right thing for customers and colleagues, and ensures that actions and behaviors drive a positive customer experience.
- Accountable for managing a portfolio of consumer and commercial accounts.
- Communicate directly with clients regarding credit events and actions as needed.
- Provide support with commercial loan origination and ongoing loan portfolio management, working proactively to ensure both production and portfolio management tasks are prioritized appropriately and completed in a timely manner.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports key performance indicators of loan portfolio quality.
- Oversee loan portfolios under the CFO as assigned.
- Work with leadership and lenders to ensure the appropriate level of regular analysis for all credits in assigned portfolios.
- Propose solutions to loan problems and accurately explain the risks and benefits of default loans
- Proficient in all aspects of the administrative part of the lending process, which will include being proficient in client management system (TEA 10).
- Provide administrative support to loan officers, which includes monitoring past due loans, monitoring exception reports, assist in the collection of loans, if necessary. Assist in construction loan draws and the preparation of the draw reports.
- Be able to initiate wire transfers with the proper approval.
- Knowledgeable in all loan products and proficient in setting up and servicing these products in compliance with applicable loan policies and regulations.
- Serves as the first point of contact for servicing of all loans.
- Provide exceptional customer service to our clients and create relationships with clients over the phone
- Participates in special projects and assignments and performs other duties as assigned.
- Continuous communication with clients throughout the loan servicing process
- Market and promote products and services to help clients better manage their mortgage and related debts.
- Initiate client ACH Drafts with THF bank as new loans are completed.
- Reporting for 3rd party servicing,
- Prepare annual 1098s for customers tax reporting
- Update portfolio and communications if notified of client bankruptcy
- Administer high level collection efforts such as garnishment and warrants in compliance with company guidelines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Qualified candidates will have financial industry background, experience in consumer and/or commercial lending and outstanding organizational skills. Staff are expected to be flexible and accountable to the team. They are supported by a collaborative, collegial environment and responsive management. Portfolio Management requires a high level of independent, analytical work, strong interpersonal skills and good judgment. Prepare monthly loan impairment analysis for all problem loans in the assigned portfolio. Develop and enforce loan workout plans under the direction of the CFO.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Demonstrated commitment to affordable housing and/or community development.
- Demonstrated ability to perform financial feasibility analysis.
- Demonstrated track record in loan workouts and servicing.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with investment partners, staff and board committees, and clients.
- Strong verbal communication skills and evidence of clear writing ability.
- Ability to identify problems and initiate timely corrective action.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a team environment including multicultural and community-based settings.
- Commitment to the principles, policies, and protocols of THF operations.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A college degree with four or more years of increasing responsibility working in the field of real estate lending or closely related fields, with credit analysis experience;
- Highly proficient analytical skills, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Professional presence (client-facing).
- Ability to partner with investing stakeholders including clients, relationship managers and credit teams.
- Expertise in financial and risk analysis.
- Demonstrated expertise in using effective problem solving.
- Proficient with technology and ability to learn new applications.
- Experience reporting to and maintaining relationships with funders.
Please submit cover letter and resume to David Parrish at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Housing Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.