First Volunteer Bank – Commercial Credit Officer
First Volunteer Bank is a $1B community bank, headquartered in Chattanooga Tennessee that serves the East Tennessee and North Georgia markets with 24 branches. First Volunteer is also an active and successful commercial and commercial real estate lender with over $500MM in commercial loan outstanding. The Senior Credit Officer role is responsible to exercise individual loan authority and recommend loans to Loan Committee. This role is crucial to the success of the loan portfolio. Senior credit officers will supervise credit analysts and work with individual Commercial Banking Advisors and will be responsible to manage the approval process.
While specific qualifications are listed below, Senior Credit Underwriters have minimum 5 years of commercial underwriting experience and should be able to underwrite complex C&I and CRE deals with little assistance. The candidate should be proactive in identifying credit risk and structuring loan requests so that, as often as possible, negotiating the deal with the sponsoring lending team and credit officers the Bank can present a viable loan decision to the client that is also consistent with the Bank’s lending culture. The Senior Credit Underwriter must also enjoy mentoring/leading junior lenders and analysts, specifically applying past experience to the financial analyses, giving others a real world view of borrowers, industries and credit needs.
First Volunteer Bank’s existing Senior Credit Officers have over 20 years of experience, each. They have made credit decisions spanning several credit cycles. That experience and consistency have produced a very profitable and sound commercial loan portfolio.
THIS POSITION REPORTS TO:
Chief Credit Officer
A small team of credit analysts
• A minimum of ten years of Commercial and Commercial Real Estate Underwriting and/or Lending Experience to include exercising individual lending authority.
• Strong understanding of personal and business financial statements and tax returns
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability and desire to make loan decisions and exercise individual loan authority
• Ability to work within and lead an underwriting team
• Ability to work with customers across our footprint
• Strong customer service skill set
• Knowledge of regulatory / compliance rules as they relate to commercial lending, appraisal and environmental issues.
PRIMARY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with commercial lending staff and credit analysts to underwrite and approve commercial and commercial real estate loan requests
• Ensure that the loan requests move through the underwriting process smoothly and as quickly as prudence allows
• Maintains the Bank’s lending and risk policies and standards, along with regulatory compliance guidelines; in all lending decisions
• Actively seeks to find loan structure alternatives to requests that are not workable in order to meet the Customer’s and Bank’s needs, while remaining within the Bank’s risk tolerances
• Will take responsibility to mentor and conduct loan training with other Bank staff
• Performs all additional duties and activities as directed by the Chief Credit Officer
Work is performed in a corporate office environment
Interested parties may visit www.firstvolunteer.com/careers to apply.